Subscribe to updates

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The last message

Vicky lay awake in her bed, staring up at the velvet black sky through the crack in her curtains. She couldn't sleep. Her mind was replaying the day's event over and over again like a movie on loop.
The image of the deep ravine, her foot slipping off the edge, flashed across her mind's eye. "I can't believe she's gone," she muttered as a lone tear rolled down her cheek. "I'm sorry, Beth."
She reached her hand, bloody and grazed, across her duvet and plucked Jasper the bear from the within the pile of teddys on her bed. She stared at his threadbare face and deep into his scuffed, black, glassy eyes.
"I'm glad to be back, Jasper. I'll never leave you," she said and stuffed Jasper under her duvet, clamping it close to her chest.
As she snuggled under her duvet she spotted a fresh bunch of flowers on her bedside table and a message card resting against the vase.
The card read, "Best friends forever. I'll miss you loads. Love Beth."

2 comments:

  1. The dates are all screwed up. An what happened to May?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. May was not a good month so I've had to write it off! Imminent loss of my pet has robbed me of imagination. However, for some reason the stories I'd assigned to June have posted already. Bizarre!

    ReplyDelete