Subscribe to updates

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The ugly truth

"Why are spiders so ugly, Granpa?" Daisy asked as she peered at one nestled in the middle of its orb web.
"Ugly?" he asked as he broached her side. "I think that's a matter of opinion."
"But they are though," she said pointing at the web that wafted gently in the breeze. "They have a cluster of eyes right at the front of their head, really fat, bulbous bodies and eight, hairy spindly crab-like legs. I mean if I looked like that nobody would ever sit next to me in class."
Daisy tried to impersonate what a human spider would look like by puffing out her cheeks, bending over and arching her arms.
"Ah, but can you imagine how powerful you would be. If you had eight legs think of how fast you could run. You'd win all the races at school sports day."
"I suppose," said Daisy.
"And the cluster of eyes help it spot and hunt down prey."
"Kind of like x-ray vision?"
"More like binocular vision," said Granpa.
"Wow. I'd be able to see into Tilly Parker's bedroom and see if she really did steal my Lucky Lucy doll," Daisy spat. Her eyes narrowed and her teeth ground together as images of the pigtailed mannequin playing with her doll flashed across her mind's eye.
"I'm sure she didn't steal it, Daisy. You probably lost it. You've got so many things in your room I'm surprised you know where anything is."
"I suppose spiders don't have that problem," she said as she frowned at her granpa. She knew that was exactly what he was going to say.
"They don't," he said. "You look at that web. Completely uncluttered. All he's waiting for is to catch a fly and eat it. Simple as that."
"I hate flies," Daisy said curling her lip. "I hate them more than spiders. They're ugly too."
"Well, if it wasn't for spiders we would be inundated with flies. They'd be swarming round us. Laying their eggs on everything. Plants, animals, your hair."
Daisy leapt up and began feverishly scratching her head. "Eeuw, Granpa, that's gross. It makes me all itchy."
Daisy's granpa laughed. "So do you really think spiders are ugly?"
Daisy pondered the question as a rogue fly suddenly got entangled in the spider's web. In an instant the spider lunged for the stricken insect, stunning it with its venom and wrapping it in a blanket of spun silk.
"No. Not really," she said. "They look just the way they're supposed to."

No comments:

Post a Comment